Tooth Extractions in New Westminster, BC
At times, our dentist near you may need to perform a tooth extraction to restore your oral health. The prospect of getting your tooth extracted makes many people anxious. At times dental extractions are necessary to bring about pain relief.
Why Do We Need Tooth Extractions?
While we try hard to preserve your teeth, extractions in New Westminster, BC may be unavoidable at times. Once you book an appointment at Asante Dental Centre, our dentists will assess your tooth and take x-rays for an accurate diagnosis.
You may need an extraction if:
- Advanced gum disease has resulted in bone loss or weakened teeth
- The tooth is damaged to a severe extent
- Untreated tooth decay has progressed and spread
- You have an overcrowded dentition and need a tooth removed to create space
- An adult tooth has erupted and the baby tooth hasn’t fallen out yet
- A wisdom tooth is impacted and causing pain
- There is an abscess or infection associated with the tooth
What is Involved in a Tooth Extraction Procedure?
We use local anaesthesia to numb the area to help the patient feel relaxed and comfortable during the procedure. Our team of dentists in New Westminster, BC will first apply some numbing gel on the gums. We will then gently inject some local anaesthetic medication to completely numb the area.
Extractions near you may be simple or surgical, depending on the location of the tooth. For example, our dentists may extract impacted wisdom teeth by making an incision in the gums and breaking the tooth into pieces to avoid damaging the bone. In some cases, we may refer you to an oral surgeon colleague to get the extraction done.